It was the opening in 1858 of the Paris-Mulhouse railway line that permitted Langres to have its own railway station. However, the topography of the area meant that the station would have to be below the town, in the Marne valley. There was a wait of nearly thirty years before the creation of the cog railway, linking the station with the town. The first train of its type in France, it rose 132 metres for its 1447 metres of length. The incline achieves 17% at the viaduct. Originally powered by steam, the locomotive pulling two or three wagons took ten minutes to make the journey. The line was electrified in 1935 and an engine (here preserved) replaced the older vehicles. The line was closed in February 1971; the city having developed principally to the south, and the track and carriage having become aged and susceptible to breakdowns.
Free access all the year.
- No admission charge.