St. Mammès' Cathedral was built between 1150 and 1196 in the centre of the canons' district. It is a skilful combination of Burgundian Romanesque influences and the first timid attempts at Gothic design. The original West Front was replaced in the 18th century by a frontage in the Classical style. The majestic interior is 94 metres long and 23 metres high up to the vaulted roof. The impression of width in the nave is emphasised by the gradually increased spacing of the pillars, opening up the view of the chancel.
South Tower: magnificent panoramic view of the town and the surrounding countryside from the top of the tower (45 metres tall, 227 steps)
From April 1st to September 30th: Saturdays, Sunday and public holidays 2pm - 6pm, except during services.
July-August, daily, ascent at 2.30, 3.15, 4 and 4.45 p.m., except during services.
Closed on August 4 and 5.
- Money slot-machine
- Tourist information
- Free car park
- 3 € (including an audio-guide) - no charge for under 16s.
- Bank Cheques and Postal Orders
- Holiday vouchers