GUY-BAILLET ART GALLERY AND MUSEUM
Place du centenaire,BP 183
GPS : 47.864904,5.333648
Téléphone : 03 25 86 86 86
Email : email@example.com
Fax : 03 25 86 86 91
The vestiges of the St Didier chapel, built at the beginning of the 12th century, are now included within the modern buildings of the museum. Founded in 1838 it was the initiative of a learned group at the heart of the young ‘Historic and Archaeological Society of Langres’. It made possible the bringing together, conservation and exhibition, of many ancient remains which building work in the citadel and the modernisation of the ramparts had brought to light. The first building in the Haute Marne to be classified as a Monument Historique (in 1840), there remains only the choir, the square of the transept and one bay. It is in this chapel that the relics of the town’s patron saint were kept and worshipped.
Since the creation of the Museum of Art and History in 1996, the Beaux-arts collections complete the initial archaeological collections.
At the end of the 19th century the town demolished a block of houses (today place du Centenaire) in order to build a covered market. It was built in cast iron and was mostly lit by wide windowed bays. It was partly taken down in 1956 in order to allow the construction of an imposing water tower which supplied new housing built to the south of the city. The market finally disappeared in 1988 at the time of the construction of the Museum of Art and History. Completed in 1996, the museum echoes its surroundings: its curvature reflects the layout of the streets whilst the windows articulate its facade following a rhythm which reflects the narrow width of nearby houses.
Here are conserved and exhibited the richest archaeological and Beaux-Arts collections of the region.
Langres’ art gallery and museum is a modern building in the heart of the old town, housing the Bacchus Mosaic dating from the 2nd century A.D., archaeological collections (prehistory, Gallo-Roman period, Egypt), paintings and sculptures (17th, 18th, 19th centuries) and decorative arts (faïence from Aprey, pewter ware, Langres cutlery etc.).
Audio-guide hire, educational workshops and guided tours: Information and bookings at the museum.
Dates and Times of opening
Daily, except Tuesdays, 9.30am - midday and 2pm - 6pm. Closed 1st January, 1st May, 1st November and 25th December.
4 € - 2 € and no charge for under 12s.
Lanquages used for the visits
Languages used on the information boards
Audio guide languages