In late antiquity the heights of the Aubigny site are occupied by a very important monumental Gallo-Roman site composed of one or more fana (or fanum, commemorative funerary monuments), whose site remarkably dominated the crossroads of the VR de Trèves in Lyon below, with its junction towards Geneva. These monument(s) dominated an important secondary Gallo-Roman agglomeration, whose dwellings stretched at the top of the village of Aubigny, under the current houses.
At the end of the first millennium, in 870, one finds the existence of a rural farm (villa) and/or a defensive position of the first feudal system (the remains of which were seen in 2006 at mid-slope) behind the restored washhouse. This villa with its chapel and its cemetery, will be at the origin of the Merovingian parish of Aubigny, whose chapel took exactly the site of the Gallo-Roman fanum. Later, the present village of Aubigny (Villa Albiniaci or Villa Albiniacensi) will be mentioned in two undated charters from the 12th century around the original farmhouse (villa) towards the end of the Carolingian period, this time with the presence of a church, its aître (parish territory) and its cemetery.
In 1099, the monks of the Benedictine abbey of Bèze (Côte D'or), encouraged by the bishop of Langres, founded a priory in this high place, which is richly endowed by the lords of Montsaugeon. The Benedictines established the buildings of their priory on the vast terrace of the Aubigny cemetery against the church to the south, and turned it into a parish and priory church, which in the middle of the 13th century would integrate the inhabitants of the brand new village of Vaux-sous-Aubigny just created below the main road, then Couzon.