Proudly perched on a rocky outcrop, Saint Hippolyte Church embraces a superb panoramic view of the valley, over the roofs of the village's old houses. It always seems to watch the horizon in search of the enemy, as in feudal times. If the church is considered a Gothic masterpiece, it also reflects all the characteristics of Romanesque art, from the balance of volumes to the purity of lines.
Under the porch, a semi-circular portal surmounted by a stone statue representing the martyr of St. Hippolyte according to Greek legend (15th-16th centuries), a polychrome stone sculpture from the 16th century and funeral slabs engraved with ploughman and lumberjack (Middle Ages) invite you to enter.
Inside, this 13th century Gothic complex is entirely vaulted with warheads. In the north side chapel, there is the altarpiece of the martyrdom of Saint Hippolyte, a bas-relief by Antoine Besançon, dating from the second half of the 18th century: 1775. In the Marian chapel (to the south), a 16th century polychrome stone statue of the Virgin Mary with the Child.
It has been classified as a Historical Monument since May 21, 1906.
All year from 8.00 AM to 6.00 PM (or at nightfall in winter).
- No admission charge.